- The parts to be welded are placed in the anvil or fixture.
- The horn contacts the parts to be welded.
- Pressure is applied to keep the horn in contact with the welded materials and to hold them together.
- The horn delivers ultrasonic vibrations to heat up the materials.
- The vibrations move less than 1mm either up/down or side-to-side.
- The materials are welded together.
- The horn gets retracted and the welded materials can be removed from the anvil.
Ultrasonic Welder – bench top model
Ultrasonic welding face mask
Compact Ultrasonic module for Integration with Automation System
Ultrasonic Welding threaded insert in plastic part
Ultrasonic Welding for Semi-Automated system
- Much faster than conventional adhesives or solvents.
- Drying time is very quick.
- The pieces do not need to remain in a fixture for long periods of time waiting for the joint to dry or cure.
- The welding can easily be automated, making clean and precise joints.
- The site of the weld is very clean and rarely requires any touch-up work.
- The low thermal impact on the materials involved enables a greater number of materials to be welded together
- Flexible and versatile with little tooling changeover or fixture modifications, consistent and repeatable, very rapid weld time confined to the bonding or joint area, can replace fasteners and adhesives.
- It has 16 weld programs which include parameters like Trigger pressure, Weld pressure, Amplitude etc.
- Energy director: Define a place to start the weld
- Sonotrode contact: Allow the ultrasound to have a direct path to the joining area
- Support: Allow the bottom weld-part to resist deformation
- Melt encapsulation: Prevent the melt from leaving the joint
- Centering: Ensure a consistent alignment
- Volume and part travel: Allow the part to move freely and the melt to go somewhere
- Prevent hard stop
- Let the part sink into the melt during holding
The most commonly utilized joint designs that AMTEC recommends
- Step Joint
- Step Joint (chisel)
- Tongue and Groove Joint
- Mash Joint
These designs all utilize the most important design rules. The use of each design is subject to the specific application and requirements of the weld.